Monday, November 20, 2017

A Season of Thankfulness (Part 2)

This is Day 2 in our 5 Days of Thankful Preparation

I won’t repeat all of my introductory comments (See Part 1) but will keep it short.

My hope is that this sequenced release of verses this week will tenderize our hearts with thankfulness and re-center our view of God's loving map of our life.

With each of the following passages from the Psalms, take time to read it out loud, and then after you finish it ask two simple questions…
1. How does this passage reveal God’s goodness?
2. What can I learn from this passage about my gratefulness?
This is a short week and we all have lots to do, so much that we need to be intentional about practicing our gratitude and allowing our hearts to respond to God's goodness!

Psalm 44:7-8

But you have saved us from our foes
    and have put to shame those who hate us.
In God we have boasted continually,
    and we will give thanks to your name forever.
Selah

His goodness?
My gratefulness?


Psalm 54:6-7
With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you;
    I will give thanks to your name, O 
Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
    and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?


Psalm 57:6-10
They set a net for my steps;
    my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my way,
    but they have fallen into it themselves. 
Selah
My heart is steadfast, O God,
    my heart is steadfast!
    I will sing and make melody!
Awake, my glory!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
    
I will awake the dawn!
    I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
        
your faithfulness to the clouds.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?


Psalm 75:1
We give thanks to you, O God;
 we give thanks, for your name is near.
We recount your wondrous deeds.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?




Psalm 79:12-13
Return sevenfold into the lap of our neighbors
    the taunts with which they have taunted you, O Lord!
But we your people, the sheep of your pasture,
    will give thanks to you forever;
    from generation to generation we will recount your praise.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?


Psalm 86:11-13
Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    unite my heart to fear your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol
.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

In case you are curious, here are just a few of my own answers to the questions asked above:
  • Psalm 44 I can trust that his goodness will restore our reputation and deliver us from enemies though things may get worse before they get better. Gratitude talks about what God has done more than what I have done.
  • Psalm 54 The best offering is one given willingly, gratitude is no different. Just because we haven’t been at war doesn’t mean that God hasn’t delivered me. How has God given me victory recently?
  • Psalm 57 He faithfully loves us to space and back…and his love changes everything! Gratitude is not shy but eager, bold, and far-reaching in a desire to share the blessing.
  • Psalm 75 The name of God represents all that he is in character, power, and deeds. Our gratitude is evidence that he is near to us.
  • Psalm 79 God goodness multiplies the taunts of those who trash-talked against him. Gratitude is a wonderful inheritance to pass down to our kids and their kids.
  • Psalm 86 The more we know God the more we will respect and love him. Gratitude should be shaped by the steadfast goodness of God…wholehearted and enduring.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will become visible after it is seen and approved by the blog administrator. Thanks for your patience and thanks for engaging this topic.