Tuesday, November 21, 2017

A Season of Thankfulness (Part 3)
















This is Day 3 in our 5 Days of Thankful Preparation. I hope you are reading these few verses along with me! I wonder how these verses directing your heart and attitude this week? 

If you are like so many, the stress level can rise significantly with commutes lengthened not to mention any out-of-town travel (oops, I mentioned itPortland International Airport expects 67,000 passengers just tomorrow!), shopping, cooking, trying to create lasting memories, etc. I can either get caught up in the madness adding my own thrashing about to the storm or allow the oil of gratitude to calm some of the troubled waters around me for the good of others.

My hope is that this sequenced release of verses this week will tenderize our hearts with thankfulness and re-center our view of the God-loving map of our life.

With each of the following passages from the Psalms, take time to read it out loud, and then after you finish reading it, ask two simple questions…
  1. How does this passage reveal God’s goodness?
  2. What can I learn from this passage about my gratefulness?


Psalm 92:1-4
It is good to give thanks to the Lord, 
    to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
    and your faithfulness by night,
to the music of the lute and the harp,
    to the melody of the lyre.
For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
    at the works of your hands I sing for joy.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?


Psalm 95:1-3
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord;
    let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
    let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
For the Lord is a great God,
    and a great King above all gods.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 97:11-12
Light is sown for the righteous,
    and joy for the upright in heart.
Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous,
    and give thanks to his holy name!

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 100:3-5
Know that the Lord, he is God!
    It is he who made us, and we are his;
    we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
    and his courts with praise!
    Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 105:1-3
Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
    make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him;
    tell of all his wondrous works!
Glory in his holy name;
    let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 106:1-3
Praise the Lord!
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
    for his steadfast love endures forever!
Who can utter the mighty deeds of the Lord,
    or declare all his praise?
Blessed are they who observe justice,
    who do righteousness at all times!

His goodness?
My gratefulness?



Here are just a few of my own answers to the questions asked above:
Psalm 92… Thankful living starts the day trusting in God’s love and ends it by rehearing his faithfulness throughout my day. Noticing what God does should produce joy and gladness. My thankfulness is a good response to the steadfast goodness that God shows to me.
Psalm 95 The goodness of the Lord exceeds that of anything or anyone else we might be tempted to worship. I should have a word of thankful praise on my lips when I meet God—not because he demands it, but because (1) He delivered me, and (2) I get to meet the Lord! Wow!
Psalm 97… It is the goodness of God that lightens my soul, enabling me to rejoice instead of cowering in fear at my circumstances. It is a sign that things are right in my life when I rejoice in God and am thankful for everything about him.
Psalm 100… While I may not like being compared to a sheep, God’s goodness gives me a place to belong (we are his people!) and to celebrate the gift of his steadfast love. Because God doesn’t change, he remains faithful to all generations.
Psalm 105… Gratitude is more than saying thanks in the moment of enjoyment, it involved remembrance—a calling to mind of past expressions of his goodness—and declaring them thankfully! God is not a killjoy, but rather the source of all joy!
Psalm 106… the goodness of God’s love doesn’t end, and if we had eyes to see everything he does for us neither would we be able to express all the praise in response. One way I can show gratitude is to live justly and do what is right for all we encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will become visible after it is seen and approved by the blog administrator. Thanks for your patience and thanks for engaging this topic.