Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Season of Thankfulness (Part 4 of 5)

This is Day 4 in our 5 Days of Thankful Preparation

Now as we travel home, or out of town, to be with friends and family, our gratitude can be tested by traffic, turkey drama, and terrible weather.

It is in exactly such moments that we need to break into our supply of psalms to give us the words of thankfulness with which to lead our hearts into the love of our faithful Savior!

My hope is that this sequenced release of verses this week will tenderize our hearts with thankfulness and re-center our view of God’s loving care for us.

With each of the following passages from the Psalms, take time to read it out loud, and then after you finish it ask two simple questions…
  1. How does this passage reveal God’s goodness?
  2. What can I learn from this passage about my gratefulness?


Psalm 106:47
Save us, O Lord our God,
    and gather us from among the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name
    and glory in your praise.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 107:1
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
    for his steadfast love endures forever!

His goodness?
My gratefulness?




Psalm 108:2-4
Awake, O harp and lyre!
    I will awake the dawn!
    I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is great above the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 109:30-31
With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord;
    I will praise him in the midst of the throng.
For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,
    to save him from those who condemn his soul to death.

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Psalm 111:1-3
Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
    in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the works of the Lord,
    studied by all who delight in them.
Full of splendor and majesty is his work,
    and his righteousness endures forever. (also 118:1-3, 29; 135:1-3)

His goodness?
My gratefulness?

Here are just a few of my own answers to the questions asked above:
  • Psalm 106... God’s goodness is committed to saving and gathering his people into a relationship with him and each other. When we pray do we ask for help so that we will have one more reason to give thanks?
  • Psalm 107... Some things are worth repeating because they are important, and sometimes because we are so quick to forget the important stuff. This is one I am thankful is repeated at least 45 in the Old Testament!
  • Psalm 108... God’s goodness permeates all of creation and when we see it we can’t keep it to ourselves. Sometimes expressing gratitude with our words and deeds even gets us out of bed in the morning!
  • Psalm 109… God’s goodness is not far away—He stands next to the needy to save them from those who condemn them. So, we stand together to worship the Lord, for our gratitude is too great not to be spoken publicly!
  • Psalm 111… The more we study the works of the Lord the more we see the splendor and majesty with which they are infused. He leaves behind an enduring DNA of uprightness. Great work deserves our wholehearted gratitude, not just a “golf clap”.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will become visible after it is seen and approved by the blog administrator. Thanks for your patience and thanks for engaging this topic.